Grogan's Forest Sect. 5,6,7

Properties within Cantwell Forest, Avalon Oaks or Dulcimer Woods Neighborhoods of Grogan’s Forest (otherwise described as Sections 5, 6 & 7 of Grogan’s Forest College Park) are under dual authority of The Woodlands Township and the City of Shenandoah thereby requiring concurrent applications and approval for property improvements. View map.

In the past a resident would need to apply to both entities. A new process has been developed that is more convenient and efficient. View the Grogan's Forest Permitting Process Update.

Improvements that are regulated by both entities will have a joint application and will be submitted to the City of Shenandoah. The City of Shenandoah will forward the application to The Woodlands Township and both entities will review. In some cases, you may be required to submit an application to the Township if the City of Shenandoah does not require a permit for that improvement. 

Grogans Forest Map

To determine where to submit your proposed improvements, refer to the chart below: 

Residential Improvement Type


The Woodlands

Mechanical Equipment - Air Condition Units



Artificial Turf

Demolition- Building Or Pool



Construction Of Detached Structures – Patio Cover, Gazebo,



Dog Run









Exterior Change – Paint (Woodlands) or Siding (Shenandoah)



Exterior Lighting (If Electrical Is Being Run)

  • Landscape Lighting*
  • Security*
  • Permanent Seasonal Lighting
  • String Lights
  • Gas*




Fence and Pool Barriers



Garage Door





Home Business **


New Home, Remodel or Addition



Tree Removal



Open Structures Attached to Home





Play Structure, Putting Greens, Trampolines*



Roof *


Solar Panels/Roofs



Sports Courts & Batting Cages



Storage Sheds



Swimming Pools & Spas – Including Above Ground



Trash Can Screen



Yard Structures – Trellis, Retaining Walls, Fountains *



Plumbing - Including Irrigation, Gas Lines, Water Heater



* Must comply with The Woodlands Residential Development Standards, which specify certain improvements that have been pre-approved by the Plan Review Committee and require no application, further review, permit, fee, or other action by the owner.

** Refer to the Shenandoah Integrated Development Code (

Check marks in the Shenandoah column represent property improvements that must be applied for at Shenandoah city hall. They will process any documents and reports required by The Woodlands, and you will not have to visit the Township offices. If there are any issues or questions related to The Woodlands covenants, the Township may contact you. For more information on permitting requirements, please visit and click the Community Development button on the home page, then select “Residential Permits” on the left.

Check marks in The Woodlands column represent property improvements that must be applied for at The Woodlands Township. That means you must visit the Township offices to complete the necessary applications, and you do not apply through the City of Shenandoah. The Woodlands Township offices are located at 2801 Technology Forest Blvd in The Woodlands. You can also call the Township at 281-210-3800. For additional information on submitting an application to The Woodlands Township and downloading application forms, please visit the Residential Application webpage.

Exterior changes – note on the chart that requirements for exterior changes are different for Shenandoah and The Woodlands. 

  • If you plan to change your exterior paint only, please visit The Woodlands for approval and permitting. 
  • If you plan to change your siding only, please visit Shenandoah for approval and permitting. 
  • If you plan to change your siding and paint it, you must visit both Shenandoah and The Woodlands for permitting.

For more information about these updates and contact information, please view the Grogan's Forest Permitting Process Update PDF