THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (May 29, 2015) – Being prepared can help us protect our families and reduce the impact an emergency has on our lives. Residents and businesses in The Woodlands have the opportunity to learn how to be prepared by attending The Woodlands Emergency Preparedness Event, hosted by The Woodlands Township and sponsored by Entergy, Saturday, June 13, 2015, at The Woodlands Township Town Hall, 2801 Technology Forest Boulevard. Drop by this free, family fun event anytime between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. to find out more!
Participants and sponsors will be available to answer resident questions about emergency preparedness and provide giveaways and handouts at the event for the whole family. Presentations and demonstrations will be held throughout the event, including Hurricane Predictions for 2015 by meteorologist Melissa Huffman from the National Weather Service. Attendees will also learn about emergency volunteer opportunities in the area.
See the exciting “Arcs and Sparks” electric demonstrations, visit public safety vehicles, find out about useful Web links, and view brief emergency preparedness videos to help prepare for a hurricane or any emergency. Also, free hot dogs will be provided by H-E-B and served by the West Conroe Baptist Church Disaster Relief Ministry using their emergency kitchen.
Presentation Schedule: (Inside – Board Chambers)*
- 10:30 a.m. The Woodlands Township Neighborhood Watch (15 minutes) Presented by Program Specialist Peggy Krysiak
- 10:55 a.m. Water Safety (15 minutes) Presented by Ashton Herring, First Responder and Outreach Coordinator, Montgomery County Hospital District
- 11:20 a.m. Operation Storm Ready (20 minutes) Presented by Allen East, Entergy Texas, Inc. (tentative)
- 11:50 a.m. Hurricane Predictions for 2015 (30 minutes) Presented by meteorologist Melissa Huffman, National Weather Service
Demonstration Schedule (Outside - front parking lot):*
- 10:20 a.m. Entergy Arcs and Sparks Electricity Demonstration
- 12:40 p.m. Entergy Arcs and Sparks Electricity Demonstration
Ongoing Activities 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
*All presentation and demonstration times are subject to change.
- Exhibitor Booths – displays, giveaways, handouts and/or representatives to answer your questions
- Ready Houston – Are You Ready? – Ready Houston Emergency Preparedness Video (15 minutes)
- Together Against the Weather – Ready Houston Emergency Preparedness Video – Hurricane Readiness for Persons with Functional and Access Needs Video (6 minutes)
Participants and sponsors include The Woodlands Township Neighborhood Watch; Entergy Texas, Inc.; The Woodlands Fire Department; Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, District 6 Crime Prevention Unit; Harris County Constable’s Office, Precinct 4; Montgomery County Constable’s Office, Precinct 3; Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management; National Weather Service; The Woodlands Community Emergency Response Team (CERT); Montgomery County Hospital District; Montgomery County Search and Rescue; American Red Cross; CenterPoint Energy; Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES); Interfaith of The Woodlands; Montgomery County United Way/MC-CARES/HelpOurCounty.org; Montgomery County Sheriff Citizen’s Academy Alumni Association, Urgent Care for Kids; H-E-B; First Choice Emergency Room and Home Depot.
For more information, please visit The Woodlands Township website at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, contact The Woodlands Township at 281-210-3800 or email email@example.com.
Photo:Entergy President and CEO Sallie Rainer, center, demonstrates protective equipment that keeps technicians safe in the field. Photo by Perry Frank