THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (October 29, 2015) – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held a regular Board of Directors meeting Wednesday, October 28, 2015, at The Woodlands Township Town Hall, 2801 Technology Forest Boulevard, at 6 p.m. The entire meeting can be watched on video at The Woodlands Township website (www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov).
The Woodlands Township Board of Directors received presentations from Dr. David Gottlieb and representatives from several cultural arts groups in the region regarding a proposed performing arts center and academy at Lone Star College. Following the presentations, Director Ed Robb, Chairman of the Township Board’s ad hoc Economic Development Committee, provided an update regarding the committee’s task to review and make recommendations to the Board regarding economic development opportunities, including the development of a performing or cultural arts center. Director Robb informed the Board that the committee is currently working on a Request for Proposal (RFP) for a cultural arts feasibility study, which was approved by the Board during the most recent 2016 budget approval process. The RFP is expected to be finalized by the committee in November and presented to the Board in December.
Additionally, The Woodlands Township Board of Directors received and accepted a presentation of concept plans from Burditt Consultants for the renovation of Northshore Park. The Board was presented three preliminary design concepts for the renovation based on stakeholder input. The Township included $96,000 in the 2015 Capital Improvement Budget for design and consulting services related to the renovation of Northshore Park. The amount allocated is 8 percent of the projected 2016 construction budget of $1.2 million which is a standard percentage for design services related to a parks and recreation facility. This amount does not include any funding allocated for design services related to adding a potential boat house/rowing facility at the park; this decision is expected to be made after the final concept plans and related budget estimates have been finalized. Burditt Consultants will present updated concept plans based on the Board’s discussion and recommendations at a future Board of Directors meeting in November.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
- Awarded the bid for Waterway Square maintenance services to Fountain Works and authorized the Township President/General Manager to execute a Service Agreement.
- Awarded the bid for the installation of sport field and dog park lights at Cattail Park to Sports Facilities Company, conditional upon review and approval of the Development Standards Committee.
- Awarded the bid for cul-de-sac island reforestation to Texan Tree Depot and the bid for cul-de-sac island tree installation to Boone’s Landscaping.
- Authorized the Township President / General Manager to execute an Agreement for Assessment and Collection Services with Montgomery County for the Township’s ad valorem taxes.
- Approved a temporary extension of the Interlocal Agreement with the Brazos Transit District to allow completion of the new Park and Ride lease agreements.
- Approved a new Transition Interlocal Agreement with the Brazos Transit District for the lease of the three Park and Ride facilities.
- Approved a lease with Montgomery County for the Sawdust Park and Ride commuter service parking lot and facilities.
- Approved a ground lease with the Brazos Transit District for the Sterling Ridge and Research Forest Park and Ride commuter service parking lots and facilities.
- Adopted a resolution casting the Township’s votes for Montgomery Central Appraisal District Special District candidate (and Township Chairman), Bruce Tough, and authorized Vice Chairman Ed Robb to sign the official ballot.
The Board of Directors then moved on to take the following actions on the Regular Agenda:
- Received a presentation from Dr. Gottlieb and representatives from various cultural arts groups around the region regarding a proposed performing arts center and academy at Lone Star College.
- Received and accepted an update from The Woodlands Township ad hoc Economic Development Committee regarding the cultural arts study included in the 2016 Budget.
- Received and accepted the September 2015 financial report for The Woodlands Township.
- Received and accepted a presentation regarding Northshore Park renovation concept plans from Burditt Consultants.
- Received a presentation by Chris Nunes, Director of Parks and Recreation, regarding alternative infill material options for the Township’s nine all-weather turf fields in the community. The agenda item was tabled pending further research on the various infill materials.
- Received and accepted a report from Hennie van Rensburg, Director of Covenant Administration, regarding the residential landscape covenant violations in the Village of Creekside Park.
- Approved the implementation of the 2015-2016 Town Center Holiday Shuttle Service and authorized the Township President / General Manager to execute an agreement with First Class Tours to provide vehicles and operators.
- Received and accepted the Transportation Administrative Report for October 2015.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.