THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (January 28, 2016) – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held its monthly meeting Wednesday, January 27, 2016, at The Woodlands Township Town Hall, 2801 Technology Forest Boulevard, at 6 p.m. The entire meeting can be watched on video at The Woodlands Township website (www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov).
The Woodlands Township Board of Directors received a presentation by Burditt Consultants of the final design concept for the renovation of Northshore Park. After Board discussion, a motion was accepted to authorize Burditt to proceed with construction drawings and bidding to include development of three plans for the stage at the park to be included as add-alternates – one with a full stage for larger events, one with a smaller stage and one with no stage and directed staff to consider resident feedback in this process.
The projected 2016 construction budget of $1.2 million for this project does not include any funding allocated for design services related to adding a potential boat house/rowing facility at the park. Chris Nunes, Director of Parks and Recreation, presented a joint proposal from local rowing clubs that outlined their concept for the size and type of facility needed as well as financing. The Board agreed that the facility should be Township owned with financing by the rowing clubs, for the portion of the facility the clubs occupy. After discussion, the Board asked staff to continue working with the clubs in order to provide additional direction regarding the size of the facility and prepaid leasing options.
The Board of Directors also accepted the Township’s 2015 Summary of Accomplishments. Among the many accomplishments for the year were reducing the property tax rate to 23 cents per $100 of valuation, increasing funding for law enforcement, approving an agreement for shared use building to house The Ice Rink, receiving a grant for the purchase of new Park and Ride buses and completing the renovation of The Woodlands Fire Department Fire Station No. 2. The Summary of Accomplishments can be viewed on the Township’s website at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
• Received and approved the December 10, 2015, Regular Board Meeting minutes for the Board of Directors of The Woodlands Township.
• Received Administrative Reports for January 2016 for Community Services, Law Enforcement and Community Policing, Transportation and The Woodlands Fire Department.
• Accepted a conveyance of reserves in Creekside Park West Section 16, Restricted Reserve A, and Creekside Park West Section 18, portion of Restricted Reserve C.
• Adopted the 2016 Pool Hours of Operation and Pool Fee Schedules as presented.
• Tabled the awarding of bids for pool replastering and deck refurbishmnt, the swimming pool pump room ventilation project, shade structures and awnings at Gosling Sportsfields and for LED lighs for the neighborhood and village entry sign lighting conversion project. All contracts were tabled pending review for compliance with the new House Bill 1295.
• Approved The Woodlands Township’s membership in The Interlocal Purchasing System (TIPS) Program which offers access to competitively procured purchasing contracts.
• Approved Resolution 001-16 adopting a List of Qualified Borkers Authorized to Engage in Investment Transactions with The Woodlands Township.
• Approved an extension of the Interlocal Agreement with the Brazos Transit District for the provision of certain park and ride services through February 28, 2016.
• Approved the revised lease agreement for the Sawdust Park and Ride lot with Montgomery County.
• Approved service agreements between the Village Associations and The Woodlands Township to allow funding and assistsance to the associations in exchange for community-building opportunities for residents of The Woodlands Township.
• Adopted revisions to the Township Board Policy regarding Board meeting time and invocation.
The Board of Directors then moved on to take the following actions on the Regular Agenda:
• Approved the Interlocal Agreement for Law Enforcement Services between Harris County and The Woodlands Township for services provided by the Harris County Constable’s Office – Precinct 4.
• Tabled until next month a discussion regagarding the The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion Parking License with the Center for the Performing Arts at The Woodlands for event parking at 9669 Grogan's Mill Road.
• Received and accepted an update on the Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan. Board members provided the consultant, Jones and Carter, with input and direction in developingthe Master Plan.
• Received and accepted an analysis of sales and use tax revenues and trends to determine potential impacts on the Township’s 2016 budget. Fyi…….no action was taken on this item.
• Received and accepted a presentation from Burditt Consultants regarding final renovation concept plans for Northshore Park.
• Approved the 2016 Parks and Recreation Capital Projects schedules and budgets, as presented by The Woodlands Land Development Company, for the new parks and pathways, Town Center and Hughes Landing streetscapes projects. The Board authorized the Township President/General Manager to approve progress payments, invoices, draws and reimbursements in connection with the projects.
• Received and accepted the November 2015 financial report for The Woodlands Township.
• Approved the schedule for review and approval of the 2017 budget and 2016 property tax rate.
• Adopted a Resolution of the Township Board of Directors regarding the development of a Wal-Mart Supercenter adjacent to the Village of Creekside Park in Augusta Woods Village. The Board instructed staff members to distribute the Resolution to named parties and to work with partners and contract services to accomplish the items set-out in the Resolution.
• Received and accepted a quarterly update on Law Enforcement.
• Discussed proposed amendments to the Township’s Public Comment Policy. A motion to accept the amendments as presented failed due to lack of a second.
• Deferred a briefing on the constitutional guidelines regarding the distribution of flyers in a government building to the February 24, 2016, Board of Directors meeting.
• Approved a change to the length of term of the Township appointees to the Development Standards Committee from one year terms to two year staggered terms. The two members with the most years of service will serve a two year term until December 31, 2017, and the two members with the least years of service will serve one year term until December 31, 2016. Once the initial term is completed, the subsequent appointments would be for two year terms.
• Accepted a presentation on the Township’s 2015 Summary of Accomplishments.
• Tabled a discussion regarding a request from Commissioner James Noack to amend the 2014 Interlocal Agreement with Montgomery County for transportation project improvements.
• Approved a recommendation from the Ad Hoc Transportation Committee regarding a proposed Park and Ride fare increase of $1.00/round trip, from $12/round trip to $13/round trip effective May 1, 2016, after public comment. The Board also approved other financial matters related to the Park and Ride program and the Capital Replacement Reserve.
• Received and accepted a quarterly update from The Woodlands Convention and Visitors Bureau.
• Received and accepted a review of The Woodlands Convention and Visitors Bureau (TWCVB) bylaws concerning The Woodlands Township’s involvement in the appointment and election of members and directors of TWCVB.
• Received and accepted the annual governance assessment report. A motion was accepted to include additional topics for review as part of the governance assessment, including the Woodlands Parkway Extension, other area road expansions, and to hold a a future Board Planning Session to discuss Township incorporation planning, strategies and implications.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.