THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (February 19, 2016) – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held a special Planning Session Thursday, February 18, 2016, at The Woodlands Township Town Hall, 2801 Technology Forest Boulevard, at 9 a.m. The meeting ended at 2:45 p.m. The entire meeting can be watched on video at The Woodlands Township website (www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov).
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Regular Agenda:
- Received and accepted a presentation by The Woodlands Development Company regarding 2016 park and pathway projects throughout the town.
- Received and accepted a presentation regarding a phased approach to improve and enhance The Woodlands Waterway Trolley service. Staff provided an overview of the recently implemented 90-day pilot project to improve Town Center mobility and connectivity. A motion was approved to extend the pilot program to June at which time the Board will consider the implementation of Phase II of the plan.
- Received and accepted a presentation regarding the Parking Garage/Transportation Center project. The Board directed staff to compile information regarding grant funding options for review by the Board as well as revenue opportunities. The Chair requested that this item be placed on the February 24, 2016 Board agenda for a vote.
- Received and accepted a presentation regarding a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the development of a Cultural Arts Feasibility Study. A motion was approved for staff to proceed with the RFP and secure final commitment from community partners. The selection of a consultant is expected to be presented to the Board in May.
- Deferred matters regarding the development of a preliminary master plan for the 11.6 acres of Township-owned property located on Grogan’s Mill Road.
- Received and accepted a presentation regarding The Woodlands Convention and Visitors Bureau 2016 Operating and Marketing Plan as related to the Bureau’s shift away from the production of community festivals and events to a newly defined focus in order to maximize hotel occupancy through marketing and sales to meeting planners.
- Received and accepted a review of The Woodlands Convention and Visitors Bureau’s initiatives regarding the Waterway Cruisers including operations and selling the boats.
- Received and accepted a presentation regarding potential recreation opportunities on the upper waterway. A motion was approved directing staff to implement an interim plan for the Upper Waterway that includes multiple recreational assets to be evaluated at a later date. The motion was amended subject to The Woodlands Convention and Visitors Bureau’s Board making the Township whole on the cost of the recreational assets.
- Discussed matters regarding the use of excess Hotel Occupancy Tax funds. A motion was approved to defer the agenda item for further discussion at the February 24, 2016, Board of Directors meeting.
- Approved a motion to dissolve the Township’s ad hoc Transportation Committee but to keep the ad hoc Economic Development Committee.
- Approved a motion to return to the previous Board meeting schedule which consists of one board meeting, usually held at 9 a.m. on the third Thursday of every month, and one board meeting, usually held at 6 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of every month. This will begin in the month of April.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.