THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (April 28, 2016) – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held a regular meeting Wednesday, April 27, 2016, at The Woodlands Township Town Hall, 2801 Technology Forest Boulevard, at 6 p.m. The entire meeting can be watched on video at The Woodlands Township website (www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov).
The Woodlands Township Board of Directors received a presentation from Chris Nunes, Director of Parks and Recreation, regarding the potential boathouse/rowing facility at Northshore Park. The projected 2016 construction budget of $1.2 million for the park’s renovation project did not include any funding allocated for a new boat house/rowing facility. The proposed construction cost for the 7,000 square foot boathouse, with shared usage by Parati Competitive Rowing, The Rowing Club of The Woodlands and the Township, is estimated to be around $851,060. The Board authorized staff to negotiate lease agreements with the two rowing clubs for their proposed funding commitments. The Board also approved staff to negotiate a Signage/Sponsorship Agreement proposal from Woodforest National Bank which provides $500,000 to support the construction of the boathouse and additional future payments for regular upkeep and maintenance of the sign and facility. The remaining balance of the project is to be funded by The Woodlands Township. Staff will present proposed agreements to the Board at a future date for final approval.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
- Approved a proclamation in recognition of St. Anthony of Padua’s expansion and commitment to the community.
- Approved a proclamation recognizing May as Bike Month; May 20, 2016, as Bike to Work Day; and May 21, 2016, as Bike The Woodlands Day in The Woodlands, Texas.
- Approved a proclamation recognizing the week of May 15-21, 2016, as “Police Week” in The Woodlands, Texas, to honor the service and sacrifice of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.
- Approved a proclamation recognizing April 27, 2016, as “National Service Recognition Day” in recognition of the positive impact of national service in the Township, and to thank those who give back to the community.
- Accepted a conveyance by Special Warranty Deed from The Woodlands Land Development Company, LP for the Village of Creekside Park Section 29, Open Reserve A.
- Accepted a proposal from Pyro Show for firework production services upon review and approval by legal counsel (C-2016-0038).
- Accepted a conveyance of the Waterway Bridge from The Woodlands Land Development Company, LP and authorized the President/General Manager to execute the necessary agreements, easements, deeds and other instruments as required and approved by legal counsel.
- Approved Resolution No. 007-16, Adopting Investment Policies and Guidelines for The Woodlands Township, in accordance with the Public Funds Investment Act.
- Received a report from Waste Management highlighting the use of their supplemental funding which allows The Woodlands Township Environmental Services Department to enhance environmental education.
- Received a quarterly update from The Woodlands Convention & Visitors Bureau regarding the organization’s 2016 objectives and strategies.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Regular Agenda:
- Accepted a proposal from Spectrum Events for event production services for major Township events upon review and approval by legal counsel (C-2016-0039).
- Received a presentation by Jim Stinson with The Woodlands Joint Powers Agency regarding flooding concerns along Panther Branch and Bear Branch.
- Approved funding for the addition of one investigator position for Montgomery County Precinct 3 Constable’s Office for the Safe Harbor – Crimes Against Children program.
- Adopted guidelines for the naming of Township facilities and sub-facilities.
- Authorized the President/General Manager to negotiate a Signage/Sponsorship Agreement with Woodforest National Bank and Lease Agreements with The Rowing Club of The Woodlands and Parati Competitive Rowing for the boathouse at Northshore Park, subject to review by the Township attorney and final approval by the Board of Directors.
- Approved revisions to the Special Event Policy and Procedures for events held at The Woodlands Township parks with the caveat that staff would return to the Board with recommendations to alleviate acoustical concerns at Northshore Park.
- Received a post-event recap on the 2016 The Woodlands Marathon from Race Director Willie Fowlkes as part of the Host Venue Sponsorship Agreement between The Woodlands Township and The Woodlands Marathon Management, LLC.
- Received a quarterly update regarding Law Enforcement services.
- Received and accepted the March 2016 financial report for The Woodlands Township.
- Received a report from the Township’s Transit Program Manager regarding operations and performance information for The Woodlands Express and The Woodlands Town Center Trolley System.
- Accepted a motion regarding the Residential Survey directing staff to redesign the sample size based on Board input and to obtain new cost bids within the set budget of $30,000. The Board also accepted motion to create a task force to review the final survey questionnaire which will be used to gauge public opinion of The Woodlands Township’s programs and services.
Following an executive session, the Board of Directors approved an amendment to the Township President/General Manager, Don Norrell’s, employment agreement in concert with the annual performance review.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.