THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (June 23, 2016) – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held a regular meeting Wednesday, June 22, 2016, at The Woodlands Township Town Hall, 2801 Technology Forest Boulevard, at 6 p.m.
The Woodlands Township Board of Directors received a presentation from Chris Nunes, Director of Parks and Recreation, regarding proposed modifications and elimination of select special events that occur within the Township. After evaluating existing Township produced events, the marketplace for events, demographics of the community and current issues impacting event production (sound, traffic and overall impact), a draft Special Event Analysis and Operational Plan was developed and presented to the Board. Recommendations include, but are not limited to, the elimination of the Live at Night Concert Series, the reduction of annual holiday weekend events to one day each and the removal of fireworks displays from concert series events.
The Board accepted a motion to approve the Special Event Analysis and Operational Plan with the stipulation that existing major race events would be grandfathered in and the new guidelines would apply only to new events. The motion also amended the proposed scheduling buffer for events requiring road closures so that events that require lane or road closures cannot occur if another event has already been permitted for closing the same lanes/roads four weeks before or four weeks after. All road and lane closures must provide traffic alternate routes of ingress and egress from neighborhoods and the Township must approve the route as part of the permitting process.
The Board of Directors authorized the scheduling of a Public Hearing to be held July 27, 2016, to amend affected Township Orders and the Special Events Policies and Procedures to reflect the approved recommendations.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
- Adopted a resolution approving the Annual Report on Financial Information and Operating Data for the year ended December 31, 2015, and authorized the report to be filed with the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board.
- Approved the release of a revised Request for Proposals (RFP) and survey instrument for the Residential Survey. Submitted proposals will be brought to the Board for approval and selection in August.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Regular Agenda:
- Received and accepted a presentation from Jace Houston, general manager of the San Jacinto River Authority, regarding the Flood Protection Planning Study.
- Received an emergency preparedness briefing for the Township from The Woodlands Fire Chief Alan Benson, who provided an overview of recent activities taken in preparation for the upcoming hurricane season.
- Held a discussion regarding storm impacts from recent weather events and accepted a motion to develop a task force to address drainage concerns with those agencies responsible for managing communitywide drainage.
- Accepted the Special Event Analysis and Operational Plan as presented and authorized the scheduling of a Public Hearing on July 27, 2016, to amend Township Orders and Special Event Policies and Procedures.
- Reviewed a proposal from The Woodlands Marathon Management, LLC for a five-year Host Venue Sponsorship Agreement for the annual The Woodlands Marathon. A motion was accepted to authorize the Township President/general manager to negotiate with The Woodlands Marathon Management, LLC on the terms and conditions of the agreement. The motion included a stipulation that negotiations regarding the use of the new Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion multipurpose building for an exposition would occur separately from the Host Venue Sponsorship Agreement. The agreement is to be approved as to form by The Woodlands Township Attorney and returned to the Board for final approval in July 2016.
- Received and accepted the May 2016 financial report for The Woodlands Township.
Following an executive session, no action was taken and the meeting was adjourned.
The entire meeting can be watched on video at The Woodlands Township website. For more information on The Woodlands Township, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.