THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (September 20, 2019) – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held its regular meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday, September 19, 2019, at The Woodlands Township Town Hall, 2801 Technology Forest Boulevard in The Woodlands, Texas.
In support of the National Center for Safe Routes to Schools “Walk to School Day” and The Woodlands Township’s 210+ mile network of pathways that connect schools to homes and to places of recreation, the Board of Directors encourage all citizens of The Woodlands to consider the safety and health of children this month and throughout the year, and proclaimed October as Walk to School Month in The Woodlands, Texas.
In recognition of The Woodlands Township Neighborhood Watch, through the National Association of Town Watch, sponsoring a unique, nationwide crime, drug and violence prevention program which promotes cooperative police-community partnerships, crime prevention efforts and neighborhood safety, the Board of Directors proclaimed October 13, 2019 as National Night Out in The Woodlands, Texas.
Before addressing agenda items, President/General Manager Don Norrell provided more information on Walk to School Month. In October, The Woodlands Township Environmental Services Department will coordinate Walk to School Days for 12 elementary schools. Walk to School promotes clean air, healthy kids, a sense of community and safe use of the community’s pathways. This is the 19th year of the program. For the past 14 years, The Woodlands has ranked as one of the top two Texas communities for the number of schools participating. This year, The Woodlands ranks first in the state in that effort. Houston-Galveston Area Council’s Pedestrian-Bicyclist Subcommittee cited the Township’s Walk to School program as a model for the state and has reached out to Township staff for insights on increasing participation in other communities.
Mr. Norrell also recognized the Township’s lifeguard competition team for being awarded first place at the 2019 Gulf Coast Regional Guard Competition in Baytown, Texas on July 22, 2019. This is the second Township lifeguard team to take first place at a regional competition this year. Gulf Coast Games is a highly competitive regional lifeguard competition that requires lifeguards to react to simulated scenarios. Each exercise consists of CPR, first aid or water rescue.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
- Received Administrative Reports from Township departments.
- Awarded a bid for Sign Cleaning and Pressure Washing Services.
- Approved a service agreement with Bayou Land Conservancy relating to trail maintenance in the George Mitchell Nature Preserve.
- Approved a settlement agreement.
The Board of Directors then moved on to take the following actions on the Regular Agenda:
- Took no action on Incorporation Planning Study matters.
- Deferred a report from Entergy Texas on recent power outages.
- Accepted a presentation by the San Jacinto River Authority Groundwater Reduction Plan Division regarding groundwater use.
- Accepted a report on the agreement between The Woodlands Township and the Boy Scouts of America Tall Timbers District.
- Approved the release of a Request for Qualifications for Executive Search Firm to conduct the President/General Manager recruitment and approved implementing a Transition Task Force to provide assistance and direction throughout the recruitment process.
The next Board of Directors regular meeting is scheduled to be held at 4 p.m. Wednesday, September 25, 2019. For more information on The Woodlands Township, or to view the meeting in its entirety, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.