THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (December 6, 2019) – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held its regular meeting at 6 p.m. Wednesday, December 4, 2019, at The Woodlands Township Town Hall, 2801 Technology Forest Boulevard in The Woodlands, Texas.
At the start of the meeting, President/General Manager Don Norrell introduced the new Fire Chief, Palmer Buck. Chief Buck started his tenure with The Woodlands Fire Department on Monday, December 2, 2019. Chief Buck previously worked for the Austin Fire Department for 26 years, where he was involved in all operational aspects and served as Division Chief. Mr. Norrell also recognized Deputy Chief Doug Adams for leading The Woodlands Fire Department as Interim Chief over the past 7 months.
Before addressing agenda items, the Board of Directors recognized The Woodlands Men’s Tennis Teams for competing in the world’s largest recreational league and capturing the two national champions titles and a national finalist title at the United States Tennis Association (USTA) League National Championships. To celebrate this accomplishment, the Board of Directors proclaimed December 4, 2019, as The Woodlands Men’s Tennis Teams USTA Adult National Champions Day in The Woodlands, Texas.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
- Approved a Second Amended Interlocal Cooperation Agreement for Montgomery County Sheriff's Office (MCSO) office space by and between Montgomery County, Texas and The Woodlands Township.
- Approved the purchase of a 2019 Pierce Peterbilt 377 Heavy Duty Air and Light Unit Special Equipment Truck through the Houston-Galveston Area Council (HGAC) Government Cooperative purchasing program.
- Approved the purchase of a Pierce Velocity 100' Ascendant Mid-Mount Aerial Tower Ladder Truck through the Houston-Galveston Area Council (HGAC) Government Cooperative Purchasing Program.
- Approved the purchase of a staff vehicle and related equipment for the new Fire Chief.
- Approved the Global Traffic Technologies, LLC. (GTT) Master Services Agreement to upgrade all traffic signals in The Woodlands Township with Global Positioning Systems Opticom equipment for Emergency Vehicle Priority traffic preemption.
- Approved an Interlocal Agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) related to Emergency Vehicle Priority traffic preemption.
- Approved an Interlocal Agreement with Harris County related to Emergency Vehicle Priority traffic preemption.
- Approved an Interlocal Agreement with Montgomery County related to Emergency Vehicle Priority traffic preemption.
- Affirmed the officers of the Township Board of Directors as authorized signers on the Township's bank accounts.
- Approved payment for the purchase of law enforcement vehicles in FY 2019 and FY 2020 for the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office – The Woodlands District 6 in accordance with the Interlocal Agreements with Montgomery County.
The Board of Directors then moved on to take the following actions on the Regular Agenda:
- Awarded a bid for Waterway Fountains maintenance and supplemental aquatic pumps and motor services.
- Took no action on Incorporation Planning Study matters.
- Accepted an annual report from The Woodlands Economic Development Partnership.
- Discussed feral hogs in Windsor Hills and other areas of the community.
- Affirmed Chairman Bunch’s appointment of Director Brian Boniface, Director Bob Milner and Director Dr. Shelley Sekula-Gibbs to the Audit Committee for 2020.
- Approved an extension of the term for the Ad Hoc Economic Development Committee and affirmed Chairman Bunch’s appointments of Secretary Dr. Ann K. Snyder, Treasurer John Anthony Brown and Vice Chairman Bruce Rieser to the Committee.
- Appointed Director Dr. Shelley Sekula-Gibbs to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Council.
- Appointed Director Bob Milner to the Law Enforcement Advisory Council.
- Extended the term of the Incorporation Planning Study Task Force through December 31, 2020 and appointed Secretary Dr. Ann K. Snyder, Vice Chairman Bruce Rieser and Chairman Gordy Bunch.
- Approved an extension of the term for the Drainage Task Force and affirmed Chairman Bunch’s selection of Vice Chairman Bruce Rieser to serve as Chair of the Task Force.
- Appointed Bruce Rieser, John Anthony Brown, Dr. Shelley Sekula-Gibbs and Township President/General Manager Don Norrell to serve on the Board of Directors of The Woodlands Convention and Visitors Bureau dba Visit The Woodlands in accordance with the Bylaws and approved reappointment of Nick Wolda to serve as President of The Woodlands Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Re-appointed Nick Wolda, Director of Community Relations for The Woodlands Township and President of Visit The Woodlands Convention and Visitors Bureau to serve a three-year term on the Booking and Blocking Committee from January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2022 and re-appointed Kim Lowe of Westin to serve a two-year term on the Booking and Blocking Committee from January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2021.
- Took no action on a Host Venue Agreement with the YMCA for the Dragon Boat Team Challenge Event.
- Approved the proposed contract with Waste Management for Solid Waste Collection, Disposal and Recycling Collection Services.
- Authorized the President/General Manager to issue the Notice of Intent to Renew for a one-year extension of the contract with First Class Tours, Inc. for Commuter Bus Service.
- Adopted the Board of Directors meeting schedule for 2020.
- Received and accepted the financial report.
- Accepted a report related to Executive Search for President/General Manager.
- Approved a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding with the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion regarding the feasibility of a performing arts facility.
- Deferred an Extension and Modification of the Comprehensive Community Services Agreement.
- Deferred The Woodlands Town Center Maintenance Agreement with The Woodlands Land and Development Company.
- Deferred appointments to the Development Standards Committee.
The next Board of Directors regular meeting is scheduled to be held on Wednesday, December 11, 2019 immediately following an Incorporation Planning Session that is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. For more information on The Woodlands Township, or to view the meeting in its entirety, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.
PHOTO: The Woodlands Township Board of Directors proclaimed December 4, 2019 as The Woodlands Men’s Tennis Teams USTA Champions Day.