THE WOODLANDS, Texas (January 6, 2020) – The Woodlands Township has received notice of Texas A&M Forest Service’s planned prescribed burning operations at W. Goodrich Jones State Forest possibly starting this week, January 7, 2020, through February 29, 2020. These areas are predominately pine forest. Areas in red in the map linked below are delineated into smaller prescribed burn units of approximately 20 to 35 acres.
Considered a standard forest management tool for endangered species habitat restoration, undergrowth vegetation reduction, and providing for community safety, the prescribed burning will take place as weather permits.
The area is located between I-45 and SH 242, south side of FM 1488 within the state forest boundaries.
- Vegetative reduction/reduce the potential of devastating wildfire on state forest land/reduce fuel load
- Restoration of forest ecological habitat for endangered Red-cockaded woodpecker populations
- Improve access and visual landscape aesthetics for safety
- Enhance wildlife habitat by increasing sunlight to the forest floor and desirable flora species
- Inter-departmental training between state and local emergency (fire departments) response resources
Please view the link below for further information from W. Jones State Forest, 1328 FM 1488, Conroe, Texas, 77384.