THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (February 7, 2020) – The Woodlands Township received information concerning the prescribed burning to take place, February 7, 2020, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at W. Goodrich Jones State Forest.
The attached map outlines (in RED) preliminary plans detailing Texas A&M Forest Service prescribed burning operations at W. Goodrich Jones State Forest for Friday, February 7, 2020. The area is located between I-45 and SH 242, south side of FM 1488 within the state forest boundaries.
Starting time: 10 a.m.
Completion time: 3 p.m.
Mop-up until smoke is extinguished
Approximately 25 to 50 acres
Considered a standard forest management tool for endangered species habitat restoration, undergrowth vegetation reduction, and providing for community safety, the prescribed burning will take place as weather permits.
- Vegetative reduction/reduce the potential of devastating wildfire on state forest land/reduce fuel load
- Restoration of forest ecological habitat for endangered Red-cockaded woodpecker populations
- Improve access and visual landscape aesthetics for safety
- Enhance wildlife habitat by increasing sunlight to the forest floor and desirable flora species
- Inter-departmental training between state and local emergency (fire departments) response resources
PHOTO: Texas A&M Forest Service Prescribed burning will take place at W. Goodrich Jones State Forest on February 7, 2020, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The area is located between I-45 and SH 242, south side of FM 1488 within the state forest boundaries.