THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (March 13, 2020) – In response to growing concerns regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and Montgomery and Harris County Declarations of Local Disaster, two major multi-day events in The Woodlands have postponed spring dates and are now looking to the fall -- Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas and The Woodlands Waterway Arts Festival.
The Woodlands Waterway Arts Festival, which has been ranked among the top 5 of all United States arts festivals, was scheduled for April 3-5, 2020 and brings patrons and artists from all over the world. The Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas was scheduled for Saturday, April 25, 2020 and the event was sold out with participants, vendors and volunteers from 25+ countries and all 50 states.
“In the spirit of public welfare and public safety, these two organizations understand these are very difficult decisions, but decisions to place the value of human life greater than the event,” said Township Chairman Gordy Bunch.
Officials with Visit The Woodlands and the Township are working through various alternatives, with both groups looking at weeks in September, October and November.
Moving these events is not an easy task as September, October and November are some of the highest demand times of the year. “The Woodlands and our parks system is in high demand for many events at that time of year,” said Township Assistant General Manager John Powers.
Once these dates are confirmed, news announcements will follow.
On Thursday, March 12, 2020, The Woodlands Township cancelled or postponed all Township-sponsored events from March 12, 2020, through April 12, 2020 (Easter Sunday). This decision was made in consultation with Montgomery and Harris County Public Health officials.
The following event cancellations for March and April will occur as a result of this action.
- Arts in the Park – Saturday, March 14, 2020
- Involvement Day at Golden Sage Park – Saturday, March 14, 2020
- Creekwood Fishing Derby – Saturday, March 14, 2020
- Walk in the Woods – Thursday, March 19, 2020
- Remainder of Concert in the Park spring series concerts – Sundays through April 5, 2020
- Rock the Row spring series - Thursdays, March 19 through April 2, 2020
- Earth Day GreenUp – Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Father-Son Challenge – Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Soggy Doggy Swim Day – Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Public Safety Awards - Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Open Water Swim – Saturday, March 28, 2020
- Emergency Preparedness Event - Saturday, March 28, 2020
- Camp Terramont – Saturday, March 28 through Sunday, March 29, 2020
- Woodforest Bank Tri - Saturday, April 4, 2020
- All Easter Events and Programs (Egg hunts, Breakfast with the Bunny, etc)
In the event that these activities are rescheduled at a later date, the community will be notified through the Township website, social media and other channels.
“The cancellation or postponement of Township-sponsored events will allow us to better address the public health concerns of the community and also allow us to redirect Township public safety and other personnel in a more effective manner for preventive measures,” Chairman Bunch said. “While this is a difficult decision to make, public safety has and will always be the top priority of The Woodlands Township.”
As with all Township-produced events, the safety of event participants, attendees, staff, volunteers, sponsors and spectators is a top priority. The decision to cancel is consistent with this priority to prevent the potential exposure and spread of illness.
The Township will remain in close communication with local, state and federal partners and take further action as needed, based on the recommendations of these agencies. Residents are encouraged to follow the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)’s prevention strategies. If you suspect you are ill, please stay home except to seek medical care to prevent the spread of illness. Please visit www.cdc.gov/COVID19 for more information.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, please call 281-210-3800 or visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov.