THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (March 26, 2020) – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held its first ever public meeting via videoconference at 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 25, 2020.
The Directors primarily discussed the Township’s response to COVID-19 and unanimously voted to defer the planning process of The Woodlands future governance.
“I am and the Board are acutely aware the COVID-19 crisis is one of the many variables that alters timing for governance transition options,” said Township Chairman Gordy Bunch. “Incorporation has never been on a ballot and there has not been any commitment to add it to this year’s ballot either.”
“The Township has completed the studies and financial analysis associated with Incorporation planning. These studies have resulted in a comprehensive operating and financial model that will serve The Woodlands well when incorporation is considered by the community,” Chairman Bunch said.
“Over the past two and a half years, the Board has spent a great deal of time studying Incorporation; however, it is time for the Board to refocus its energy on the crisis at hand,” he added. “We all have a common enemy with the COVID-19 virus and all efforts and attention should be spent rallying the community towards those efforts.”
The Board voted to have the Novak Consulting Group ensure The Woodlands Township has a finished plan that can endure as a living executable plan, that can be easily updated annually by future boards.
Regarding COVID-19, the Board announced they will be meeting weekly under special emergency guidelines from the State of Texas and all these meetings will be by videoconference. The Board made several appointments regarding the Township’s COVID-19 response:
- Appointed Secretary Dr. Ann K. Snyder to be the non-profit liaison for the Township.
- Appointed Dr. Shelley Sekula-Gibbs to be the public health liaison.
- Appointed Vice Chairman Bruce Rieser, Director Bob Milner and Treasurer John Anthony Brown to the budget task force committee.
Please stay connected to The Woodlands Township through our many communications channels. Learn more and sign up at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/stayinformed. Follow the Township’s official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/thewoodlandstownship.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
- Received Administrative Reports from Township departments.
- Proclaimed April 2020 as Earth Month in The Woodlands, Texas.
- Awarded a bid for Consulting Services of The Woodlands Fire Department facilities.
- Approved legal services contract renewals with The Strong Firm and Schwartz, Page & Harding, LLP.
- Approved a renewal with Simple Recycling for the service agreement for residential curbside collection of textile recycling.
- Approved a Service Agreement Relating to the South County 4th of July Parade.
- Approved the Third Amendment to Trolley Interlocal Agreement with Brazos Transit District.
- Accepted the financial report.
The Board of Directors then moved on to take the following actions on the Regular Agenda:
- Approved use of Lake Woodlands for the YMCA Dragon Boat Team Challenge Event.
- Approved an Interlocal Cooperation Agreement by and between Harris County, Texas, and The Woodlands Township regarding the transition of roadway responsibilities and funding at Incorporation.
- Approved terminating the Anadarko Tax Abatement Agreement.
- Deferred a Fourth Amendment to the Host Venue Sponsorship Agreement with World Triathlon Corporation for the Ironman Texas event.
- Authorized the Chairman to amend the existing President/General Manager employment agreement to June 30, 2020 through a Seventh Amendment to Employment Agreement.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, or to view the meeting in its entirety, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.
PHOTO: The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held its first ever public meeting via videoconference at 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 25, 2020.