THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (June 4, 2021) – As the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season begins, The Woodlands Township encourages residents to plan ahead and prepare in case of a weather event. Hurricane season officially began on June 1, 2021 and ends on November 30, 2021.
“It is important for Township residents to prepare now for an active hurricane season,” said The Woodlands Fire Department Chief Palmer Buck. “Forecasts predict a 60 percent chance of higher-than-normal activity this season with 13 to 20 named storms, and a possibility of as many as 10 becoming hurricanes with up to five categorized as major hurricanes. Planning ahead now can help your family safely weather potential storms.”
Here are some steps to consider when preparing for hurricane season:
- Make a Plan
- Prepare an emergency plan for your family, including your pets. Consider an out-of-town contact to text during an emergency who can maintain contact with your loved ones. Remember, texting requires less bandwidth during a storm and is the preferred way to communicate when cell towers are overwhelmed.
- Identify a location in your neighborhood where your family will meet in case you are separated. Practice the plan with children in advance.
- Build an Emergency Kit
- Prepare an emergency supply kit for your family. An emergency supply kit should include water, batteries, nonperishable food, flashlights, a first aid kit, a battery-powered radio, back-up charging options for cell phones and more. Please visit www.ready.gov/kit or www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/438/Hurricane-Prep-Checklist for details.
- Gather important documents and financial information and visit https://ready.gov/get-tech-ready for storage tips or use a waterproof Emergency Document Bag to keep the documents in a safe place.
- Stay Connected to The Woodlands Township, Counties and Partner Agencies
- Sign up for The Woodlands Township Emergency Alert Notifications: www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/notifyme
- Follow Township social media accounts: www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/stayinformed
- Sign up for AlertMCTX from Montgomery County at www.mc911.org. Visit the App Store or Google Play to download the ReadyMCTX app.
- Visit www.readyharris.org and click Sign Up for Alerts for Harris County.
- Sign up for Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training classes. Visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/CERT for more information.
- Review the full list of Emergency Resources at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/emergency
During an emergency, residents are encouraged to monitor a variety of partner agency websites and tune in to radio station KSTAR 99.7 FM for information specific to The Woodlands. Also, stay tuned to your favorite local television stations and weather apps.
In the event all communication efforts fail, you may go to one of The Woodlands’ eight fire stations for information. www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/firedepartment.
National Flood Insurance Program
The Gulf Coast region is prone to flooding rains, and most homeowner’s insurance does not cover flood damage. To purchase flood insurance or to learn more, please call your insurance company or insurance agent, the same person who sells your home or auto insurance. If you need help finding a provider, go to FloodSmart.gov/find or call FEMA’S National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) at 877-336-2627. Be sure to plan ahead as there is typically a 30-day waiting period for an NFIP policy to take effect.
For more information about The Woodlands Township, please call 281-210-3800, or visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov.