Township prepares for wintry blast
Updated at 6 p.m. Sunday, February 14, 2021
THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS (February 14, 2021) – The Woodlands Township is expecting dangerously cold temperatures and precipitation over the next several days.
The Township urges you to be prepared and stay safe.
The Montgomery County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management is preparing warming centers and will be ready to receive citizens if the need arises. More information to come.
Additionally, the Office reminds citizens to only call 911 in the event of an emergency. All county road closures can be found via MCTX LIVE.
The Woodlands Township announces the following closures for Monday, February 15, 2021 and Tuesday, February 16, 2021:
- Township offices and facilities will be closed Monday and Tuesday. All public meetings with The Woodlands Township have been cancelled or postponed. A decision will be made on Tuesday as to whether to close on Wednesday.
- All Recreational Facilities including Riva Row Boat House, Lakes Edge Boat House, and Texas TreeVentures are be closed.
- Convenience voting for The Woodlands Villages and Residential Design Review Committees is cancelled for Monday and Tuesday.
- The Woodlands Express operations is suspended Monday and Tuesday as well as The Waterway Trolley.
- Curative COVID-19 testing is closed Monday and will determine the remainder of the week at a later point.
- Conroe, Magnolia and Tomball school districts will be closed Monday and Tuesday, as will The Woodlands Christian Academy and The John Cooper School. Please check with your respective school for details.
- Garbage collection service has been suspended Monday, February 15, in response to the expected hazardous road conditions resulting from the winter weather. Collection service will be delayed at least by one day throughout the rest of the week. Those communities who normally receive collection service on Monday should anticipate collection service on Tuesday. Tuesday customers on Wednesday and so on. This is subject to change.
Also plan to limit outdoor exposure early next week as wind chills are expected to be unusually cold. Roads and bridges may ice over. Public safety officials highly recommend staying off roadways if both temperatures remain below freezing (32 degrees Fahrenheit) and precipitation occur at the same time. Monitor roadways through Houston Transtar
and Montgomery County Northstar
. For statewide traveling, check out www.drivetexas.org
Preparations are key to people, pets, plants and pipes to avoid harm to health and damage to property. Depending on your area, you might see downed power lines and trees caused by heavy ice. As always, The Woodlands Fire Department will be monitoring the weather and preparing to respond and recover.
Long periods of below freezing weather can be hazardous for people and animals. It can also cause water pipes to freeze and burst. Sprinkler systems are extremely vulnerable if not fully flushed. Read more on What You Should Do
, including this important message from Woodlands Water.
Please check The Woodlands Township homepage at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov
for updates to the calendar and news flashes, or follow the Township on Facebook and Twitter.