June 19, 2023 - June 25, 2023
BioBlitz - National Pollinator Week
Monday, June 19, 2023
In celebration of National Pollinator Week, June 19 through June 25, 2023, The Woodlands Township is hosting “BioBlitz”, a week-long community effort to identify as many local species as possible. This effort is a fun, informal opportunity for the public to learn together and share their enthusiasm for nature.
National Pollinator Week brings attention to the urgent issue of declining pollinator populations. Created by Pollinator.org, this worldwide celebration is also a call to action to save bees, birds, butterflies, bats and beetles.
The iNaturalist app makes collecting photographs and biological information about living things easy and ads vital information about local species to the BioBlitz. The data collected through iNaturalist becomes part of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility, an open-source database used by scientists and policy makers around the world. Anyone regardless of age, skill or knowledge can participate in this community-wide event.
How you can participate in BioBlitz 2023
- Download the iNaturalist app onto your phone or tablet.
- Familiarize yourself with the app by watching a tutorial or diving right into taking photos of critters, insects or plants, and uploading them via the iNaturalist app.
- Join our iNaturalist project by searching “The Woodlands Township BioBlitz 2023” under projects in the search bar.
- Get outside and explore! Take photos and upload them to our project.
- HAVE FUN LEARNING AND IDENTIFYING NEW THINGS
- Join us at the BioBooth on Saturday June 24 to as questions of the experts and peruse our display of biological wonders.
All observations made during National Pollinator Week, June 19-25, will be tallied and results shared with our community. You can make as many observations as you would like and from any area you wish. Whether you make one observation or a thousand you’ll have fun being outdoors, contributing to important scientific efforts including pollinator conservation, and you’re sure to learn something new.
*Join us for the in-person BioBlitz BioBooth, Saturday June 24, 2023, from 8 to 11 a.m. at The Recreation Center at Rob Fleming Park, 6464 Creekside Forest Drive. Discover the display of biological wonders and look through the microscope to see butterflies and their host plants up close. Experts will be on hand to help with iNaturalist observations and answer questions on local insects, plants, birds, mushrooms, and more. Free all ages events.
For more information contact The Woodlands Township Environmental Services at email@example.com.